Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The original hipsters

See the original "You're probably a hipster" list here!


So, maybe he's a perverted little weasel with dubious family values, but Woody Allen is also a genius. I never expected to encounter him in a Contemporary American Literature class, but I had a professor who taught all manner of weird and wonderful things.

I've never forgotten Woody Allen's short, the Whore of Mensa, that was published in (what else?) the New Yorker in the early 80s. Occasionally, if you see me chuckling at absolutely nothing, it's probably because a line from this story has just popped into my mind. And before you get your knickers in a knot, it's clean people.

By the way, it occurs to me that Woody Allen sort of invented pale, neurotic, skinny, nerdy hipsterness. And Diane Keaton was the original Sartorialist "it" girl with her fedoras, shrunken vests, giant pants, and men's ties. So, a little history lesson for the hipster young 'uns out there...honor your ancestors and read the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to say? I'd love to hear it...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails